Friday, July 27, 2012

Gettysburg, Antietam & Harper's Ferry-June, 2004

I spent my vacation in June at visiting Civil War Sites.



Gettysburg-East Cemetery Hill


I like this picture because it shows me at Culp's hill in Gettysburg. The black and white picture was taken three days after the battle at the same spot.


Looking to the Peace Light Memorial in the distance.


26th North Carolina Monument in front of Cemetery Ridge. This is how far the North Carolina Brigade got in Pickett's charge.


East Cemetery Hill--Confederate Hayes and Avery Assault--I hiked in the foodsteps of this attack with a Gettysburg Park Ranger.


Antietam National Battlefield in Maryland


One of my favorite spots on the Battlefield-The Irish Brigade Monument


Me at The Bloody Lane--some of the fiercest fighting at Antietam took place here.


Burnside Bridge at Antietam


Antietam National Cemetery


I also drove to Harper's Ferry. It is very beautiful as you can see.


Shenendoah Street at Harper's Ferry


High Street



19th Century Gun Making Machines at Harper's Ferry.


The John Brown "Fort" at Harper's Ferry

June 21  Last night I slept at the Airport Hilton so I could catch my flight at 6:30 a.m.  I flew to Denver and then onto Baltimore.  I got into Baltimore at about 2 p.m. and rented a car.  On my way to Gettysburg, I missed my exit to I-695.  Because of this, I ended up in downtown Baltimore.  I don't suggest ever going to downtown Baltimore.  It didn't seem very safe.  I stopped at a gas station to ask for directions.  It turned out there was a guy getting gas there that was going the way I needed to go.  I followed him.  They way up to Gettysburg was absolutely incredible.  I loved the drive.  About the first forty-five minutes was on the freeway and then the last forty-five min. was on back country roads.  I didn't know there were places like that in the U.S.  I got to Gettysburg at about 4:45 p.m. and went straight to the cemetery for the ranger program.  I only caught about the last five minutes.
     I then drover over to the hotel  (The Quality Inn), checked in and then went to Friendly's for dinner.  I liked the hotel, but I did wish that the indoor pool had been open and that it would've had a hot tub.  Oh well.
     After eating, I decided to drive onto the battlefield.  I ended up at Devil's Den.  I hadn't been there last time, so I walked up to the top of Devil's Den and to the other side where Hood's troops attacked from.  I really enjoyed that.  I then took a drive over to McPherson's Ridge.  After that I drove over to Pitzer Woods for the Campfire Program.  A park ranger gave a program on a General Cushing of the Civil War Era Navy.  This Cushing was the brother of Major Cushing who got the Medal of Honor posthumously at Gettysburg.  When the program was over at 9:30 p.m., I went back to the hotel and went to bed.

June 22  The hotel gives a free breakfast, so after I ate at about 7:30 a.m., I drove over to Oak Hill (The Peace Light Memorial) and went for a walk.  I walked from the Peace Light Memorial over to almost the Railroad Cut and then over to Oak Ridge and back to Oak Hill.  It took me about 45-50 min.  After this, I went to my first Ranger program of the day (The First Day's Battle).  This was at the Peace Light Memorial.  It lasted a little over an hour.  From there I drove over to Culp's Hill for another Ranger Program at 11:30 a.m.  I was very eager to hear about Culp's Hill, since I basically knew nothing about it.  This was a great program.  The ranger took us down a Culp's Hill trail from the top to the remains of the breastworks on the hill.  I really enjoyed this program.  I then went to McDonald's for a quick lunch.
     After lunch I went to the cemetery where there was a ranger dressed up as a Civil War Era Newspaper Reporter.  He told of what the Battlefield and Cemetery looked like right after the battle.  I did leave a little early, because I wanted to get to the ranger program at 2:00 p.m. at The Peach Orchard about the 2nd Day's fighting.  The ranger there talked a lot about the artillery on the 2nd day at Gettysburg, because Sickles had placed his artillery on the Emmitsburg Road, Wheatfield Road and Devil's Den without infantry support.
     When this program was over, I went to the corner of Sedgwick Ave. and The Wheatfield Road for the Battle Walk tour at 3:30 p.m.  Today it was Little Round Top.  The Ranger took us up to Little Round Top and walked us over to Vincent's position on the hill.  It was incredible to hear how he placed his troops:  the smaller regiments (the 20th Maine and the 16th Michigan got the higher ground.  He showed us where the 83 Penn. and the 140 NY were placed.  We also saw where the 20th Maine's left flank were and how they had refused their line to extend it and then how they would have right wheeled forward as they made their bayonet charge against Oates' men.  It was funny, because while we were at the 20th Maine's area, it started to rain hard.  Some people left, but most everyone stayed.  I had my umbrella with me, but I would've stayed regardless.  The ranger remarked that he was very flattered that so many people stayed even with it pouring rain.  He finished up where the 16th Michigan had been placed, explaining how as they started to break, O' Rourke's 140 NY came charging over the hill not knowing where they were supposed to be going.  They came down the hill to the 1th's failing line and plugged the holes.  One soldier in the 16th, the ranger said, called O' Roourke's men avenging angels.  I must say that I will never forget this battlefield walk.  It was incredible.  When I was done on the walk, I went to get some dinner.  I took it back to the hotel.  After dinner, I once again went to Pitzer Woods for the campfire program.  Tonight a ranger talked about the Meade vs. Sickles Controversy.  It was about hearing one year after the battle in Congress of what Sickles did during the battle.  He wanted to return to corps command after healing from the battle.  Meade wouldn't let him.  Needless to say, Sickles did not return.  After the program, I returned to the hotel and went to bed.

June 23  This morning I got up and had breakfast and then did the hike with a ranger program at 9 a.m.  I loved it.  The ranger took us down Cemetery Ridge and out into Pickett's Field.  He showed us and talked to us about the repulse of Pickett's Charge.  We walked the high water mark area.  It was incredible.  This lasted until about 12:30 p.m.  Afterwards, I got a quick bite to eat and then went out to East Cavalry Field for the 1:30 Ranger program.  The ranger talked to us about the changes in cavalry up to the battle and then talked to us about what happened on East Cavalry Field.  After this program, I wanted to possibly get something from Gettysburg to take home as a souvenir, so I went to a place called The Horse Soldier.  They deal in Civil War Antiques.  However, they were closed.  From there, I went to the local school and went on the afternoon battle walk.  Once again, I loved this too.  We followed in the footsteps of Hays and Avery as they attacked the Union Line on July 2nd at East Cemetery Hill.  I walked through waist high weeds, went over a creek and three fences (with some help of course).  I'm not one to normally do that.  This was an incredible walk to see what these Confederate Soldiers went through as they attacked this side of the line.  The walk lasted about two hours.  Afterwards, I was pretty worn out, so I stopped for dinner and then went back to the hotel to rest.
     At 8:30 p.m. I left the hotel and went to Pitzer Woods for the Campfire program.  Tonight it was about Jefferson Davis' life leading up to becoming President of the Confederacy.  I enjoyed this program.  The day was over, so I went back to the hotel and went to bed.

June 24  Today I got up early and drove down to Maryland to the Antietam Battlefield.  It took me about 1 1/2 hours to get there.  I arrived there at about 9 a.m. and stopped first at the visitor's center where I bought the driving tour on CD.  First, I toured the North end of the battlefield around the Cornfield and the West Woods.  From there I went back to the visitor's center for the ranger program about the battle.  This lasted about 40 minutes.  After this they had another program about the artillery that was used at Antietam by both sides.  Then I continued during the field.  I stopped at the Bloody Lane and also at Burnside Bridge.  I did take the walk to the bridge and over to the Union held side of the bridge.  I really enjoyed this.  I then drove into Sharpsburg and had lunch at a little deli.  From there I went across the street to an antique store.  I ended up buying my souvenir that I wanted (a union belt buckle from the Antietam Battlefield.  I stopped also at the Cemetery there where Union soldiers were buried.
     Harper's Ferry is only about twenty minutes from Sharpsburg, so I decided to go there next.  The view at Harper's Ferry is incredible.  Three rivers converge on Harper's Ferry.  It's right at the edge of the Blue Ridge Mountains.  I toured some of the houses, saw John Brown's Fort, and saw where the armory had been.  I stayed at Harper's Ferry for about an hour and then drove back up to Gettysburg.  I had dinner and then went to the campfire program.  This was the best one all week.  This was a living history program about a girl who lived in Gettysburg during the battle.  The ranger was dressed up as a girl and told what she saw during the battle.  The girl's name was Tillie Pierce.  After the program I went back to the hotel and went to bed.

June 25  This morning I hired a battlefield guide to take me to certain areas I wanted to see:  Barlow's Knoll, Culp's Hill and East Cavalry Field.  He was fantastic about explaining  these areas to me.  He also answered all my questions.  I absolutely loved it!  We went until 9:30 a.m. at which time I had to drive back to Baltimore to catch my plane.  One last note-I drove back through Union Mills and Westminster.  If you've read Gingrich's book Gettysburg you should take this drive.  You will not regret it.  I could definitely see where Gingrich got his ideas from.  On top of everything else, it is an incredibly beautiful drive.  I made it back to Baltimore and caught my plane home.  It was a fantastic trip!  I can't wait to go back to Gettysburg again!

No comments:

Post a Comment